Here is a kale salad that is tasty, quick to prepare and can be kept in the refrigerator for days without wilting (you can’t say that about many dressed salads!). It is flavorful enough to eat on its own or you can add any number of items – tofu, beans, hard boiled eggs, cheese, more veggies – and make it the base to a full meal. Check out our Essentials for a Satisfying Salad post for more ideas.
Easy Kale Salad with Russian Dressing
makes about 4 side dish servings or 2 main dish servings
Recipe note: 1) I would consider this a lightly dressed salad. I think it is just enough to evenly coat the greens and add flavor without weighing them down. Increase the dressing ingredients by 50% if you like a lot of dressing or are planning to add more ingredients; 2) I used a mix of sweet pickle and pickled garlic juice but I think just about any pickle or fermented vegetable juice could work well – add a little at a time and taste as you go; 3) if you don’t have scallions, use finely chopped shallot, onion or a little minced garlic; 4) this was adapted from the Maximum Flavor cookbook.
- 6 ounces (about 30 small leaves) of Toscano kale, destemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice (see recipe note)
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts, finely chopped (see recipe note)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried horseradish or fresh horseradish to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Add the kale and carrots to a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a small mixing bowl until combined. Dip a piece of kale into the mix and taste for seasoning. Adjust as needed.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and massage the greens for about a minute, or until they are slightly wilted and softened. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.