I am including the same CSA information as I sent last week. Spots are filling up fast so please sign up soon if you are interested!
We may be in the midst of summer heat but this is the BEST time to think about your Fall, Winter and Spring CSA! Not only can you secure your spot in, what is shaping up to be, our best season ever, but you can also help support our farm as we ramp up to provide you with healthy, delicious food.
You may be wondering how much variety there can be during the cooler months. While Mother Nature will partially dictate which of these products will make it to market, here is a list of seasonal produce you may see in your CSA share and at market: variety of cabbage, Chinese napa cabbage, bitter melon (NEW), variety of Pak choi, variety of kohlrabi, green onions, garlic, salad turnips, carrots, beets, variety of radish, salsify (NEW), rutabaga, arugula, spinach, variety of kale, Swiss chard, collard greens, broccoli raab, mustard greens, Asian greens, lettuce mix, variety of lettuce, pie pumpkin, winter squash, rampicante squash (NEW), potatoes, sweet potatoes, herbs, Jerusalem artichokes, chestnuts, and apples.
You can sign up by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by our booth at market tomorrow!
Let’s not lose sight of the current growing season, however. The list below includes items we will have available tomorrow. We hope to see you at market!
August 12th Produce
Here are some of the items you can expect this week:
- Red Chinese Yard Long Beans: these are great sauteed but if you want to dress up your beans a little, try our new recipe for Roasted Chinese Long Beans with Miso-Butter.
- Diva Cucumbers: these are seriously the Easiest Refrigerator Pickles. Make some now before cucumber season is over!
- Basil: I haven’t tried this yet, but doesn’t this Summer Pasta with Zucchini, Ricotta and Basil look delicious?!
- Mint: both mint and cucumber are great in our Millet Tabbouleh, or add both to water for a refreshing drink! Samples of the mint and cucumber infused water will be available at the booth!
- Papalo: not sure how to use papalo? Give these recipes a try: Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, Black Bean Burgers and Fresh Tomato Salsa.
- Beautiful Cut Flowers: brighten up your day with our beautiful cut flowers.
Recipe :: Benedictine
I have only lived in the South since last November but I instantly fell in love with the food culture. I love reading about traditional Southern recipes and wanted to share this one which I just found in The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook. This spread, which would be great with our Diva cucumbers, is usually served in the form of finger sandwiches.
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- Coarse sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Place the cucumber in a fine mesh sieve set over a bowl. Place in the refrigerator to drain for 2 hours. Transfer the cucumber into the bowl of a food processor and discard the collected liquid. Add the cream cheese and onion; pulse to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving lightly chilled.
Other :: Alice O’Dea Article
Have you read Alice O’Dea’s latest article? I always appreciate an introduction to topics and dishes I have never heard of before. Thanks, Alice!