This is a quick recipe that uses the entire beet – root, stems and leaves. Adding the other ingredients let the beet flavor shine through without it being too overwhelming.
This recipe is adapted from The Everyday Ayurveda Cookbook. While I don’t follow an ayurvedic diet, I do like the simple, seasonal recipes it inspires.
Beet & Chia Seed Smoothie
makes 2 servings
Recipe notes: the baby beets I used were 1 inch to 1-1/2 inches in diameter. You can substitute 1 medium beet or 1/2 of a large beet.
- 1 cup warm water + 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 baby beets
- 1 medium apple, cored
- 1″ piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1-1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
- A few ice cubes
- Add the warm water and chia seeds to a blender and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- While the chia seeds are soaking, remove the stems and leaves from the beet root and wash all parts. Peel the beet root.
- Add all parts of the beet, the apple, ginger, maple syrup, vinegar, salt an 1 cup of cold water to the blender. Process on high until fully broken down, about 1-2 minutes. Taste, adjust seasoning as needed and add ice cubes. Process until just broken down and serve.