The holidays are fast approaching and it’s not too early to start meal planning. While many dishes during this time of year are baked, roasted and otherwise cooked to death, wouldn’t it be nice to include a fresh, green, festive salad? This salad is based on one my family enjoys every time we go to Community Pie for pizza but I thought the combo of cranberries, almonds and Parmesan would make it a nice addition to a holiday table (I added the fennel).
I used the Awesome Asian & Lettuce Salad Mix for this salad but you could use just about anything. You could base it on one single green, such as kale, or mix together a few greens. I think kale, Swiss chard, Asian greens and mustard greens would taste great together (and would make the perfect family sized salad for Thanksgiving!).
The dressing for this salad is flavorful enough to bind the whole thing together but mild enough to let the flavor of the greens come through. You don’t have to use champagne vinegar if you don’t already have it on hand – white wine vinegar would work well here too.
Festive Holiday Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
makes about 4 side servings
Recipe notes: the dressing will likely make more than you will need for this recipe; however, it will keep for a couple weeks in the refrigerator.
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot, from 1 small shallot
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinaigrette
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 bag of Awesome Asian & Lettuce Mix
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan (grated on the large wholes of a box grater)
- 1/2 small head of fennel, core removed and sliced very thin
- Combine shallot, mustard, maple syrup and champagne vinaigrette in a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. In a slow, steady stream, whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Whisk in salt, taste, and adjust flavorings as needed.
- Roughly chop the greens and add to a large serving bowl. Top with almonds, cranberries, Parmesan and fennel and toss to combine. Drizzle with a couple tablespoons of dressing, taste, adding more dressing if needed. Serve immediately.