This is one of the tastiest salads I have made in a while so I am excited to share it! It does take a little time to prepare but I promise, the payoff is worth it. Even if you don’t make the entire salad, just roast some sweet potatoes and make the dressing to drizzle on top. My 3-year-old son was eating the dressing straight from a spoon if that tells you anything 🙂
If you have a tried and true way to roast sweet potatoes, or even skillet roast them, by all means stick with it. I like this technique (borrowed from Cooks Illustrated) because I find it easier to cut them into an even width than to cut them into an even dice. The results are a creamy interior and a browned interior.
We hope you enjoy it!
Cumin Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Avocado Salad
make about 2 servings
Recipe notes: 1) the dressing makes more than is needed for two servings but the extra can be refrigerated and used for other purposes; 2) I used 1 teaspoon of cumin powder but I didn’t feel like the flavor came through much. I would use more next time but you can leave it out all together if you don’t like the flavor.
- For the roasted sweet potatoes
- 1-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 small to medium sized potatoes), thin ends trimmed, peeled and sliced 3/4″ thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the dressing
- 1 small bunch of cilantro leaves and tender stems (about 1-1/2 cups packed)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons agave
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2″ piece of fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the salad
- 1 bag of Awesome Asian & Lettuce Mix or other greens of choice
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the vegetable oil, cumin powder and salt until thoroughly coated. Evenly arrange on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil and then cover tightly with more aluminum foil. Place on the middle rack of a cold oven and heat to 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the top layer of foil, and flip the sweet potatoes over (they should be browned on the first side, but if not, put back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so). Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the second side is brown. Remove from the oven to cool.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, add all of the dressing ingredients together in a blender and process on high for 30 seconds, or until full combined.
- When you are ready to assemble the salad, divide salad greens between plates and toss lightly with dressing. Top with sweet potatoes, avocado, scallion and pumpkin seeds and serve.